Diane Cusack, 53, Joyvaline Martinez, 23, and 40-year-old Jane Menard (left to right) were identified in the years after their remains were discovered behind a New Britain strip mall in 2007.
A Connecticut serial killer linked to the remains of three women found dumped behind a suburban Hartford strip mall in 2007 killed at least four others discovered last month during new search of the site, authorities said.
Law enforcement agents confirmed the stunning news on Monday, telling reporters they’re “confident” one person is responsible for all seven deaths.
“We said we’re confident, and we’re confident,” Chief State’s Attorney Kevin Kane said at a news conference.
Investigators have identified one of the four newly discovered sets of remains as Melanie Ruth Camilini, a mother of two who would have celebrated her 42nd birthday on Monday, police said. Camilini and the other victims likely died in 2003, authorities said.
Kane and New Britain police refused to identify the mysterious suspect, saying only the person is no longer a danger. The Hartford Courant, citing police sources, reported the person is locked up on different charges and has never been charged in the killings.
Investigators have returned to the woods behind the New Britain shopping plazamultiple times over the years. Dogs led authorities to uncover the four addtional sets of remains during the latest search, the paper reported.
Police have searched the woods behind the strip mall every so often after the first sets of three remains were discovered in 2007.
Cadaver dogs hit on several spots in the area, behind a Subway sandwich shop, liquor store and hair salon, along Hartford Road during an April search.
Officials have scoured the place on occasion since 2007, when someone searching for a spot to hunt discovered partial remains.
That led to the discovery of 53-year Diane Cusack, 23-year-old Joyvaline Martinez and 40-year-old Jane Menard, all women who had struggled with drug addiction, hung out along the same strip in New Britain and were last seen in 2003.
The women, whose deaths were ruled homicides, were not identified until 2010, 2013 and 2014, respectively, according to the Courant.
In 1995, the remains of 17-year-old Elizabeth Honsch were found behind the same strip mall. The girl had been shot in the head, though police say her death was unrelated to the other killings.
Her father awaits trial for killing the teen and her mother.
The state has offered a $ 150,000 reward for a conviction in the serial case.
“My sister didn’t deserve this,” Sandra Martinez, sister of Joyvaline Martinez, told WFSB-TV. “Only a coward would do this to my sister and those other women. There’s no human that can do what he did. She didn’t deserve it. I don’t know how he can sleep at night.”
A press conference is scheduled for 4 p.m.
With News Wire Services
ON A MOBILE DEVICE? WATCH VIDEO HERE
With DOYLE MURPHY
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.